SMR No.: WI023-031----
Monument Type: Church
St. Saviour's Priory is located on the south bank of the river about half a mile SE of the cathedral. This Romanesque church is one of the latest built at Glendalough. It was reputedly founded for Augustinian Canons in 1162 by St Lawrence O'Toole abbot of Glendalough and archbishop of Dublin (d. 1180). The buildings (now largely restored) consist of a nave and chancel with possible domestic buildings attached to the N side of the nave. The chancel arch of three orders and the two-light E window are ornamented in Romanesque style, incorporating human and animal figures. The E wall has two aumbries, one at each side of the window opening, and there are a number of small cupboards in the chancel. The nave has two doors and two windows in the S wall and one door in the N wall. The chancel was originally barrel-vaulted. A mural stairs that led to an upper floor rises southwards in the E wall of the attached building.