SMR No.: OF005-004001-
Monument Type: Church
About 500 metres to the east of the graveyard is the Nuns’ Church. The main church is a fine Romanesque nave-and-chancel structure with a finely carved doorway and chancel arch, both reconstructed in the 19th century. The annals record the completion of this building in 1167 by Dearbforgaill, wife of Tigernán Ua Ruairc, king of Bréifne, as a priory of Augustinian canonesses. Part of one wall of an earlier church survives in a field wall a few metres to the south-east. Situated on the low-lying flood plains of the river Shannon in undulating countryside. The Nuns' Church consists of a small divided nave and chancel church built with roughly coursed limestone blocks. The church was reconstructed in 1865 from the grass covered rubble which lay scattered over the surface of the graveyard. The chancel arch , W doorway and partial round headed window are the only features which were reconstructed. The chancel arch consists of a triple ordered round headed arch with hood moulding over with animal headed terminals. The Romanesque decorative features consist of chevrons, beading and animal masks etc. The W doorway is a tripled ordered doorway with hood moulding over with animal headed terminals. Decorative features include chevrons, animal masks and foliage. Church is situated in centre of a large square shaped enclosure defined by a dry stone wall constructed in places with large cyclopean masonry with the arch of nunnery located to the S and incorporated into the wall of the enclosure with possible medieval buildings attached to the S and N end of E wall of enclosure. The wall footings of another building are located to the NW of the Nuns' Church.