Temple Dowling (originally Temple Hurpan) SMR No.: OF005-006----
Monument Type: Church
Small early Christian church with projecting shallow antae at both ends with later 17th-century church added to the E wall and a late medieval extension added to the W end of the church. Directly over the two-centred pointed W doorway there is a plaque recording that these alterations were made by a man called Dowling in 1689. The N lowermost jamb of the doorway displays punch dressing in a pattern which was common in the late medieval period. Two simple slit opes are present in the S wall and one in the N. An early Christian cross-inscribed slab is partly visible in the fabric of the N wall of the church and may have been inserted during the 17th-century renovations. The E gable has been heightened to accommodate the late medieval church to the E. The original oratory was built with roughly coursed large limestone boulders, while the later addition was built with uncoursed limestone rubble of a smaller size.