Ráith Laoghaire commemorates in its name the early historic king of Tara, Lóegaire (Mod. Ir. Laoghaire) mac Néill, famous for his reputed clash with Patrick over the Paschal fire. Lóegaire is said to have been buried in the ramparts of Tara, facing his enemies, the Leinstermen. The monument, a circular enclosure about 150m in diameter, is one of the more problematical sites at Tara. The eastern half of the site has been erased by cultivation, but on the West side it is defined by a bank and internal ditch. There are, however, slight traces of an internal bank which, if original, suggest that the monument may have defensive characteristics. Geophysical survey has identified an entrance facing due east.
FLI-MAP 400; an aerial LiDAR survey system, was initially designed to survey infrastructural assets such as roads, railways and electricity supply networks. The sensor system mounted beneath the main helicopter fuselage consists of:
- FLI-MAP 400; an aerial LiDAR survey system, was initially designed to survey infrastructural assets such as roads, railways and electricity supply networks. The sensor system mounted beneath the main helicopter fuselage consists of:
- Three 150 kHz LiDAR sensors (7◦ forward, nadir and 7◦ aft);
- Scanning angle 60◦
- Accuracy (relative) Horizontal 5 cm, Vertical 3 cm
- Multiple returns 4
- Two RTK GPS receivers – provide accurate location in used in conjunction with RTK base stations;
- Inertial Navigation System (INS)- continuously track the position, orientation, and velocity of the helicopter;
- Digital imaging (11 megapixel) and digital video capture
Resulting data sets include first return (DSM) and last return point (DTM, bare earth) models
Post-processing was completed in Geomagic Studio 2012 software: individual scans are edited, aligned, before a final surface is generated using global registration, fusion, and a small objects filter algorithm.. For dissemination purposes a 3D version of the model was generated using simplification, retopologisation and texturing processes utilising Autodesk Mudbox and 3DS Max.