NISMR No.: LDY014:033
Monument Type: City Walls
New Gate was first opened by the Corporation in 1787. Before this an opening had been made in the wall at this point allowing access to Wapping Lane (now Fountain Street). However, the opening was re-inforced into a gateway as tensions arose just before the United Irishmen Rising of 1798. The Gate was later replaced by the present segmental-arched opening in 1866.