SMR No.: WI023-008003-
Monument Type: Catherdal
The cathedral is the largest and most imposing structure at Glendalough and is situated in the SE division of the main enclosure on a small plateau overlooking the junction of the Glendasan and Glenealo rivers. It was reputedly dedicated to SS Peter and Paul and ceased to function as a cathedral when the diocese of Glendalough was united with Dublin in 1214. It consists of a multi-period nave and chancel church with a sacristy. The earliest phase is evident in the cyclopean masonry in the nave walls while later rebuilding probably took place around AD1100. The decorated chancel arch, sacristy and north doorway were added towards the end of the twelfth century. The nave has antae (projecting stones) at both E and W. The W door has inclined jambs, simple flat architraves and a round relieving arch above the lintel. There are five cross-slabs placed against the inner N wall of the chancel, one of which may commemorate Muirchertach Ua Cathaláin, king of Clann Fogartaig, slain at the battle of Móin Mór in AD1151.