SMR No.: OF005-020----
Monument Type: Round Tower
Circular tower five storeys high built with coursed finely cut ashlar blocks of limestone on a protruding plinth. The top storey which was rebuilt in the medieval period has 8 rectangular slits. Round headed door at first floor level, facing SE. Conical cap now destroyed, wooden floors carried on corbels at every level. One simple flat headed window at second and third floors facing SW and N respectively. Locally known as O' Rourke's tower which according to the Annals of Clonmacnoise was built in the year 1124 under the patronage of Toirdelbach Ua Conchobair, king of Connacht and Gilla Críst Ua Máel Eoin, abbot of Clonmacnoise. The roof of which was struck by lightning in 1135. English soldiers carried off the bell of the Round tower in 1552 .