SMR No.: OF005-013001-
Monument Type: Church
The reputed burial place of St. Ciarán, this tiny church is the smallest of all the churches at Clonmacnoise measuring only 3.8 by 2.8 metres internally. The original building is an early masonry church built mainly of sandstone and probably of the early 10th century with antae and putlog holes for tying scaffolding through the walls. All of the south wall and the south half of the west wall are relatively modem work. The foundations of Temple Kelly, built in 1167 to replace a wooden church, can be seen to the west of Temple Ciarán.